7.20.2009

On Storytelling...

I recently posted a rant (I'll be honest) about the lousiness of storytelling with particular focus on the 2009 movie "Knowing".

One of the things I hit on was the value of telling a story AND telling it well. As an author, I'm always striving to tell my stories in the most engaging and entertaining way possible with as few holes in my plot as possible.

Suspension of disbelief is more than trying to get one's audience to buy into your fiction. It extends to getting your audience to forget how boring your story might be if it was told in any other way.

There are some incredibly dull stories out there told in utterly brilliant ways and that's what keeps the audience tuned in.

In line with this, a friend recommend a four-part series posted on YouTube where Ira Glass (of NPR's this American Life) speaks on storytelling. Though he's particular to radio, the art of telling the story extends to all media.

Ira Glass:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Jarucia

No comments:

Post a Comment